Number of sessions: 1
Time: 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Date: Wednesday, September 30
Course fee: $75
Get the Grant! is open to writers who plan to apply to the Literature Cultural Equity Grant, the Literature Investing in Artists grant, or for a writers’ residency program. Those applying for other writers’ grants are welcome, though the focus will be on these specific grant opportunities.
We will cover:
- Applicant qualifications
- Defining a clear, feasible goal that costs a specific amount of money
- How to demonstrate a rising trajectory (remembering that most people who are awarded local grants are on their way up, not already “there”)
- Tips for writing clear, concise statements
- Using headings and “buckets” to make your statement navigable
- The dreaded Project Statement, Work Plan, or Goals and Objectives portions of grant/residency applications
Lizette Wanzer is an Affiliate Artist at Headlands Center for the Arts. A fiction writer and essayist, she received her MFA in Creative Writing from Mills College. Her work appears in Callaloo, Guernica, Tampa Review, The MacGuffin, Ampersand Review, Journal of Advanced Development, Journal of Experimental Fiction, Pleiades, Potomac Review, International Journal on Literature and Theory, Fringe Magazine, Aesthetica Magazine, and others. She is a contributor to the award-winning Chalk Circle: Intercultural Prizewinning Essays. Lyzette has been awarded writing residencies at the Virginia Center for Creative Arts, The Banff Centre (Canada), Blue Mountain Center (NY), Kimmel Harding Center for the Arts (NE), Playa Summer Lake (OR), Horned Dorset Colony (NY), and Writers’ Colony at Dairy Hollow (AR). She’s received grants from the Center for Cultural Innovation, San Francisco Arts Commission, Horned Dorset Foundation, and the Creative Capacity Fund. Lizette was proud to be invited to present her work earlier this year at the Far West Popular Culture Association conference in Las Vegas.