SUNDAY, APRIL 30 | This one-day workshop will give you the tools to help get your voice heard, whether writing opinion pieces or doing local reporting. In challenging times, it’s important to write as an act of resistance. Over the course of the day we will help you:
- Identify issues you care most about and how to focus on them
- Figure out what you have to say about those causes, how to report them, and how to write about them
- Talk about what makes an engaging, readable opinion piece or essay
- Connect with other people who are interested in writing as resistance
- Look at potential places to be published to get your voice heard
Special guest Tim Redmond has 30 years’ experience as a San Francisco investigative reporter and editor, mainly at the San Francisco Bay Guardian and more recently at the daily digital local newspaper, 48 Hills. Laura and Tim have known each other since they were both editors of the Wesleyan University Argus.
We will have bagels and coffee to rev you up in the morning, and an hour off for lunch.
Laura Fraser is a longtime journalist, Grotto member, and New York Times-bestselling memoirist. She is a board member of the San Francisco Progressive Media Center.
Number of sessions: 1
Time: 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
Date: Sunday, April 30
Course fee: $125