Number of sessions: 1
Time: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Date: Saturday, January 16
Course fee: $85
Get the Grant! is open to writers who plan to apply to the Literature Cultural Equity Grant, to the Literature Investing in Artists grant, or for a writers’ residency program. Those applying for other writers’ grants are welcome, though the focus will be on these specific grant opportunities.
We will cover:
- Applicant qualifications
- Defining a clear, feasible goal that costs a specific amount of money
- How to demonstrate a rising trajectory (remembering that most people who are awarded grants are on their way up, not already there)
- Tips for writing clear, concise statements that do not ramble
- Using headings and “buckets” to make your statement navigable
- The dreaded Project Statement, Work Plan, or Goals and Objectives portions of grant/residency applications
Lizette Wanzer is an Affiliate Artist at Headlands Center for the Arts. She received her M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Mills College. She has been awarded writing residencies at the Blue Mountain Center (NY), Kimmel Harding Center for the Arts (NE), Playa Summer Lake (OR), Horned Dorset Colony (NY), Virginia Center for Creative Arts, and The Banff Centre in Canada. She is the recipient of an Investing in Artists grant from the Center for Cultural Innovation, an Individual Artist Commission grant from San Francisco Arts Commission, and two Professional Development Grants from the Creative Capacity Fund. Lizette has completed Gelatin Prints, a short story collection, and is currently at work on an essay collection entitled Jaywalking.